Superfoods are nutrient-rich food beneficial for your well-being. Please include them in your daily diet to enjoy a nutrient-packed meal every day. In India, a number of such foods have ruled the kitchens for generations, ensuring high immunity, health, and much more. Visit any part of the country, and you will notice the abundance and easy availability of these items. Indians shield their bodies with such food to ward off several diseases and infirmities.
The 100X healthy version of Popcorn is Makhana. It's commonly known as lotus seeds or fox nuts, Makhana is a part of a lotus flower, and it is rich in iron, protein, zinc, carbohydrate, fiber, and magnesium. I call it God's Angel food as my mother used to consume it during fasting. You can make from it a few savories and sweets which can be consumed any time of the day. You can get free Makhana recipes at our store. Rock salt and raw Makhana are also a popular way of consumption.
Where can you buy Makhana?
- Indian Food Box
- eBay link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=makhana&_sacat=0
Please subscribe to my Youtube Channel as I will put it on.
How is Makhana made?
After collecting the Makhana from the lotus flower, the seeds are cleaned, sieved for gradation, fried twice, and then manually cleaned until the white puff emerges from the dark skin, and there is no black residue left on the white puff. They are then packed to be sold. You can saute them in Ghee or just fry them in the pan.
Benefits of Makhana
- Makhana has high amounts of antioxidants like chlorogenic acid and gallic acid that help prevent cancer, heart ailments, and Diabetes Types II. Antioxidants also decrease gout, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and psoriasis.
- Makhana is a rich source of nutrients like magnesium, iron, and calcium. Calcium supports bone health, reduces cholesterol and blood pressure level. Magnesium helps to contract muscles, synthesize proteins, and more.
- Makhana seeds boost the ingestion of fiber and protein that assist in losing weight. While fiber helps you feel full, protein checks your urge to eat.
- Lotus seeds can relieve a patient suffering from diarrhea for a long time as it contains the caustic quality that is good for appetite.
- The sedative nature of the seeds assists in controlling and handling insomnia.
- Enzymes in Makhana block your aging process by protecting and repairing weakened proteins.
Makhana's Side Effects :
Despite the absence of any scientific data regarding Makhana's side effects, too much consumption can cause flatulence, bloating and constipation. Other side effects include gastrointestinal issues and allergies. Lotus seeds may also have heavy metals present in water, which can negatively impact the body. So, if you are undergoing treatment, consult your physician before eating the seeds.
Ghee is clarified butter sprinkled over cooked rice, bread, sweets, and vegetables to create a tempting fragrance of cow's milk. Please remember there's a difference between day and night if you compare cow's milk ghee and buffalo's milk ghee. The food gets its name from a Sanskrit term meaning 'tempted'. Ghee is sacred in the Hindu religion, and it's also the true food of the food. If you are fond of Bollywood movies, you might have seen the pandits using it in wedding rituals.
How is Ghee made?
After boiling milk, its cream is separated. Once the cream cools, it is churned with a stick to segregate the water from the unsalted butter. Next, the butter is melted slowly over a low heat until it turns into a clear golden liquid. The foam and bubble emerging on the top are skimmed off, and the liquid is removed from the heat lest it burns. The still-hot liquid is then sieved to obtain a semi-solid substance, which is sold in jars.
Secret Tips: You can even make it from Smjor in Iceland. The butter in Iceland is made from cow's milk, and you don't need to buy it.
Where can I buy Ghee in Iceland?
- Indian Food Box
- Ghee helps in increasing bone strength. The fat-soluble vitamins in Ghee also maintain the normal functioning of the brain and bones.
- Consumption of Ghee at a sustained level serves to protect the body from a number of disorders by creating body tissues.
- Ghee revitalizes enzyme secretion and improves digestive strength. It is easy to absorb because of its lower chain fatty acids, and if you suffer from weak digestion, you should consume Ghee.
- If you consume a spoonful of Ghee mixed with lukewarm milk, you can enjoy a healthy bowel movement.
- Having a low amount of healthy fat, Ghee adds good cholesterol to the body. Unlike other fat forms, it does not lead to cardiac issues.
Ghee Side Effects
People suffering from heart diseases, stomach and kidney issues should not have Ghee. The fatty acid in Ghee leads to high blood pressure causing heart attacks. If you are overweight or obese, avoid consuming Ghee as it may cause you to put on weight and make you unhealthier. In case you are suffering from abdominal discomfort or jaundice, stay away from this form of butter as it may give rise to organ issues.
Indians have used Turmeric in food for ages, and the root vegetable is known for being an immunity booster. Turmeric is derived from Curcuma longa root. It consists of a chemical named curcumin, which may decrease inflammation. A lot of Indian people have memories of putting Turmeric on their injury, especially if you are fond of playing sports. Its bitter, warm taste aids in coloring or flavoring mustards, curry powders, cheeses, and butter.
How is Turmeric made?
Turmeric rhizomes are first cleaned thoroughly to remove soil, roots, and leafy remains. They are boiled in hot water for about an hour until an aroma is released and the rhizomes turn soft. The vegetable is then sliced to as thin as 3 mm. The pieces are then placed on a tray under the sun for at least a fortnight till they turn brittle. Electric dehydrators dry the turmeric slices at a temperature of 140 °F. The dried slices are then ground to create an attractive bright yellow powder, which is used in almost every Indian dish.
Where can I buy Turmeric?
- Indian Food Box
- Any grocery store
- If you have a cold, sip turmeric tea. Curcumin present in the vegetable protects you against viruses like flu and herpes.
- Ingesting turmeric extract brings down lover injury in people having NAFLD or non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (a condition in which fat generates in the liver of people who do not consume alcohol or have very little).
- You can take turmeric extracts along with some other herbal ingredients or alone to check pain and lead to better functioning among people suffering from knee osteoarthritis.
- Curcumin in Turmeric is bioactive and fights inflammation.
- Antioxidants in curcumin neutralize free radicals owing to their chemical structure.
Turmeric Side Effects
1. When had in huge quantities, Turmeric may lead to digestive problems as the root vegetable stimulates gastric acid production in the stomach.
2. Turmeric features blood-thinning effects. Therefore, if you have conceived, avoid turmeric supplements. However, you may consume limited amounts of Turmeric as a spice.
Here are some Indian superfoods for you to know about and try. You will not regret your decision when you have them.
Thanks a lot for reading the article. I have attached my paneer recipe. You can make it at home or call us if you would like to have it. Please remember it's a hectic job.
Abhi's Paneer Recipe
Time: 4-5 hours (1.5-hour mins cooking and rest time for pressing).
Muslin Cloth: You can also buy it at Indian Food Box.
Milk: 10 liters.
Water: 500 ml (you can use it from carton box before throwing them).
Salt: to taste.
Lemon: 5-6 numbers squeezed without seeds.
Coriander seeds: to taste.
Black pepper: to taste.
Paprika powder: to taste.
* This recipe is enough for 12-14 portions. Add a little water first, add milk to it, and put on the medium flame. It can take up to 75-90 minutes, easily. You have to make sure the milk is boiling, and don't forget to keep on using your spatula to stir the bottom, so the milk doesn't burn. When the milk is done, turn off the flame. Add salt and lemon juice to the pot. Keep on stirring it for a minute to separate the milk and the water.
Take the muslin cloth and drain the liquid through it. You can add black pepper, coriander seeds powder (pungent smell), and paprika powder. Close the muslin cloth and put some weight on it. Minimum weight 10-15 KG. on the top. You can put water in the container to use as a weight. After four hours, the paneer would be ready.
Indian Food Box Contact Number: +3547864555.